Research Governance is a framework introduced by the Welsh Assembly Government with direct relevance for all those who host, participate in, fund or manage Research and Development in health and social care.
Any individual undertaking a research project in or with the NHS has certain responsibilities under the Research Governance Framework.
- Sets standards in: ethics; science; information; health, safety and employment; finance and intellectual property
- Defines mechanisms to deliver standards
- Describes monitoring and assessment arrangements
- Improves research quality and safeguards the public by:
- Enhancing ethical and scientific quality
- Promoting good practice
- Reducing adverse incidents and ensuring lessons are learned
- Preventing poor performance and misconduct
- Is for all those who –
- Participate in research
- Host research in their organisation
- Fund research proposals or infrastructure
- Manage research
- Undertake research
- Is for managers and staff, in all professional groups, no matter how senior or junior
Applies to commercial as well as non-commercial research
Research Governance Framework for Health and Social Care in Wales, Welsh Assembly Government (2001) is available from the Wales Office of Research and Development.
Key National Documents Relating to Research
Medicines for Human Use (Clinical Trials) Regulations
- Research Governance Leaflet (77 KB) 09/07/2007