We use cookies on this website, and some may have been set already.
If you continue to use the site without changing your settings, we'll assume you agree to this.
Find out more about which cookies we use and why
Hide this message

Raising a concern

We value your comments whether you have a compliment, suggestion or concern we would like to hear from you. 

What happens with my Compliment or Suggestion? 

Compliments will be passed on immediately to the staff concerned. Suggestions will be considered by the sister, charge nurse or head of department and wherever possible immediate action will be taken. 

How can you tell us? 

Your compliment, suggestion, or concern can be made in person, by telephone by letter or by email.
You can tell us yourself or ask a representative to act on your behalf for example, a relative, a carer, Community Health Council Representative or Member of Parliament.  However, staff will only discuss your concerns with a representative if they have your consent.

Who can raise a concern? 

Concerns can be made by anyone who has used NHS services or facilities; or has the patient's consent.  The Putting Things Right Procedure is primarily for concerns about services and facilities relating to care.  Your concern will be managed sensitively and effectively.

Information that is helpful

It helps us to investigate matters quickly if you provide the following information when you contact us:
·    Patient's name, date of birth and address
·    Date, time & location of the incident
·    Names of staff involved (if known)
·    Details of your compliment, suggestion or concern
·    If you are not the patient - your full name, address and relationship to the patient
When can a concern be made? 

A concern can be notified no later than 12 months from:
o    The date on which the concern occurred, or
o    If later, 12 months from the date the person raising the concern realised they had a concern.
A concern can not be notified 3 years or more from the date the person became aware of the matter. There are exceptions to the rule and if you are in any doubt please contact the Concerns Manager to discuss.
What happens? 

We hope that any concern you have can be dealt with immediately by talking to the staff concerned or their Manager. If however you would prefer to speak to someone not in the ward or department you should you should contact the Concerns Manager on 01874 712697 or email concerns.qualityandsafety.POW@wales.nhs.uk; complete our Raising a Concern Form’    or write to:
Chief Executive
Powys tHB
Mansion House
Bronllys, Brecon
Powys, LD3 0LS.
Your concerns will be investigated promptly and in confidence and you will be offered the opportunity of discussing the matter in person. The teaching Health Board aim to resolve problems quickly and efficiently and will conduct a thorough investigation into your concerns.  Once completed you will receive a letter from the Chief Executive confirming the outcome of the investigation and information about any actions taken as a consequence of your concern. 

Unhappy with the response? 

If you are not satisfied with the response you receive and feel nothing further can be done locally to resolve your concern you can refer your concerns to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales.
Public Services Ombudsman for Wales
1 Ffordd yr Hen Gae
CF35 5LJ

Tel: 01656 641150 

Your Community Health Council (CHC) 
The Community Health Council exists to represent and protect public interests in health and social care by monitoring the quality of care, seeking redress where appropriate and acting as a source of information for local people. The Chief Officer is available to advise and provide assistance to anyone with a suggestion or concern about the health service. 

Your local CHC can be contacted at: 

Brecknock & Radnor CHC

Brecknock and Radnor CHC

1st Floor
Neuadd Brycheiniog
Cambrian Way

(Tel 01874 624206) Email: breconchc@breconchc.org.uk

Montgomery CHC
Ladywell House, 
Powys SY16 1JQ
(01686 627632)

Last updated: 07 April 2014