The specialty of Orthopaedics deals with the skeletal system and soft tissues - e.g. ligaments.
The Trauma and Orthopaedic Directorate provides an emergency and elective service to the population of Swansea, areas of Neath Port Talbot and specialist services to the population of Mid and West Wales. There are 16 Consultants employed by Swansea NHS Trust, each Consultant has an interest in different types of Orthopaedic surgery:
Current specialty interest:
- Mr D A Clement – Trauma & Joint Arthroplasty surgery
- – Rheumatoid Surgery, lower limb arthroplasty
- Mr R L Leyshon, Mr E T R James – Trauma and lower limb arthroplasty
- Mr H C Hoddinott – Shoulder Surgery
- Mr D P Newington – Hand Surgery
- Mr MD Holt – Reconstructive soft tissue knee / arthrplasty surgery
- Mr D J Woodnutt – Revision arthroplasty
- Mr N Price – Paediatric Orthopaedics
- Mr I Pallister – Trauma Surgery, Acetabular and pelvic reconstruction
- Mr P Willliams – Paediatric Orthopaedics and foot and ankle surgery
- Mr M Pritchard – Should and elbow surgery
- Mr I D Russell – Clinical Director-Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery
- Mr M M Mullins – Arthroplasty Revision surgery
- Mr A P Davies - Knee/ Arthroplasty surgery
- Miss C. Topliss – Foot and ankle surgery / Trauma.
- Mr U. Choudhuri - Foot and ankle/education.
The Trauma service is provided by Morriston Hospital and is supported by specialist services such as ITU, and the Welsh Centre for Burns and Plastic Surgery. Morriston Hospital is the major trauma centre for Mid and West Wales with approximately 3,500 emergency admissions each year. There are over 5,000 out patient attendances in the Fracture Clinic. This can inevitably, on occasions lead to some delays when attending the department.
Elective In-patient surgery is undertaken at Morriston Hospital, Singleton Hospital and Prince Phillip Hospital, Llanelli with in excess of 2,500 elective inpatient operations being undertaken each year.
Elective day case surgery is undertaken in dedicated day wards at Morriston Hospital and Singleton Hospital and also in Prince Phillip Hospital, with over 1,800 patients being operated on as day cases. We are committed to increasing the number of patients being treated as day cases.
Ward / Departmental Information
Trauma Admission Ward – Tel 01792 703465
- Ward A – Tel 01792 703402
- Ward M – Tel 01792 703548
- Ward W – Tel 01792 703461
Elective Wards – Morriston Hospital,
- Ward B – Tel 01792 703405
- Surgical Day Ward – Tel 01792 703952
- Singleton Hospital, Ward 2 – Tel 01792 285206
- Surgical Day Ward – Tel 01792 285066
- Prince Phillip Hospital, – Tel 01554 756567 – Ward 8
Outpatients – Elective
Outpatient services are co-ordinated from Morriston Hospital Outpatient Department for Morriston Hospital and Gorseinon Hospital.
Outpatient services at Singleton Hospital are co-ordinated by Singleton Hospital.
There is a specialist paediatric service at Phillips Parade. Specially trained physiotherapists are able to see patients and refer to Consultant Paediatric Orthopaedic Surgeons if necessary. This ensures waiting times for outpatient review are kept as short as possible.
For all outpatient information at Morriston, Singleton and Gorseinon please call 01792 583700.
Phillips Parade – Tel: 01792 703010
Fracture Clinic – Tel 01792 703306
News News News: