| || || |
Ruthin Community Hospital
Tel: +44 (0) 1824 728610
By road: From the A494 in Ruthin, take the A525 along Station Road onto Well Street, then turn left onto Llanrhydd Street. The turning for the hospital is a left turn near the school. For further directions go to www.streetmap.co.uk
By rail: No rail service.
By bus: No bus service.
2.00pm – 4.00pm
6.00pm – 7.30pm
- No more than two visitors to be at the patient’s bedside at any one time.
- Children should be closely supervised – please check with the Ward Sister or Charge Nurse before taking children onto the ward.
- We strongly advise visitors not to bring young babies into the hospital.
- Visiting is not permitted during meal times unless you are assisting a patient to eat. A protected meal times policy is in operation. See ward posters for details.
- Relatives and friends may enquire about a patient’s progress by telephoning the hospital.
- To keep calls to a minimum, please ask one member of the family to act as the hospital link and inform the rest of the family.
Alcohol foam has been made available which can be used to clean and disinfect hands. It is available at the entrance to every ward and visitors are encouraged to use it before and after visiting.
To help the hospital to reduce infections:
- Visitors should always use the alcohol gel by the entrance to every ward before and after visiting.
- Visitors should always use chairs and not sit on beds.
- Always wash your hands after visiting the toilet.
The hospital has 31 GP medical inpatient beds. Consultant outpatient and community clinics are held and dental and x-ray services provided.
Other services provided include:
- Outpatient and inpatient Physiotherapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Day Unit
- District Nursing
- EMH Team
- Therapies Department
The hospital has a small shop available during clinic times, afternoons and weekends.
The Board of Guardians of the Ruthin Union built the hospital in 1914 (Workhouse) as a Poor Law Infirmary. As it was wartime it was hurriedly brought into operation as a convalescent home for injured soldiers. It became a very busy and indispensable hospital with the assistance of the Physicians and Surgeons of Ruthin Castle Clinic, Liverpool, Chester and Wrexham.
Between the 2 World Wars it was a busy general hospital, admitting patients requiring skilled nursing care and carrying out both major and minor surgical operations. Local doctors performed minor surgery and consultant surgeons from
Chester and Liverpool came to the hospital to carry out regular sessions in the small but well equipped theatre.
Upon the introduction of the National Health Service in 1948,
Ruthin Hospital became a General Practitioner hospital and in the 1980s it became a Community Hospital.