Tel: +44 (0) 1766 831281
By road: Follow the A470 to Blaenau Ffestiniog. Turn into Glynllifon Street. At the junction with Wynne Road, the hospital is situated directly in front of you.
By bus: Regular daily services. For more information go to: www.traveline-cymru.info
- Outpatients Department situated in the Health Centre opposite the Hospital providing clinics as outreach from the acute hospitals
- Nurse-led clinics – Teledermatology, Dressings
- X-Ray Facilities
- Community District Nursing Service
- Intermediate Care Service
The Hospital is situated about 35 miles south of Ysbyty Gwynedd and the catchment area extends from Dolwyddelan in the North to Trawsfynydd in the South.
The Hospital was built in 1925 at a cost of £5,741 for the building only, with sixpenny contributions from the local quarrymen in memory of those who died during the First World War. The plans and specification for the hospital were prepared by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis, who gave his services free of charge, with the land being donated by Lord Newborough.
The site commanded a view of the valley below and the surrounding peaks, with the towering Moelwyn and Manod at the respective ends of the mountain range. Provision was made at that time for fourteen beds, but the plans allowed room for any necessary extensions at either end of the building.
Monies raised in the early days of the appeal towards the cost of building the Hospital consisted of £759 by the quarrymen, £886 by local collections and £233 by personal donations. The largest donations were £5,000 by the Red Cross Society and £1,000 by the owners of the local quarries.
The first patient was admitted in July 1925. Eleven people had died at the hospital before it was officially opened in June 1927.
A quote from a local newspaper at the time of the opening of the hospital reads:-
“A wireless set, acquired by the generosity of friends at home and abroad, brings entertainment and joy to the tedious hours of the injured and suffering.”