Skip navigation
 

History

test-banner-jan12

The name 'Velindre' is derived from Melin, a mill, and Tref, a town or place. The mill perhaps refered to the Melingriffith Tin Plate works that operated at the end of Velindre Road.

Velindre Cancer Centre in the 1950's

Timeline

Also consider:

1947

1956


1958/59

1961



1967

1972

1973

1974


1982





1992

1994


1999
 

2001/2
 


2008
 

2009

2010

2011

2013
Plans for a dedicated radiotherapy hospital begin.

Velindre Hospital opens with two orthovoltage (X-ray therapy) machines and a single ward block.
 
Facilities for two Cobalt (external beam radiotherapy) machines built.

The first Linear Accelerator (Linac) was installed along with a new library, physics laboratories & diagnostic radiology suite.

Biology laboratories added.

Second Linear Accelerator opened.

Research facility for immunology applied to malignant diseases.

Accommodation for nurses and changing facilities.

A new ward of 28 beds was opened by Princess Margaret, and appropriately named the Princess Margaret Ward
Fully equipped Diagnostic Radiology Unit
New two-storey block  - ground floor providing all pre-treatment preparation. 1st floor for the school of therapeautic radiography and for medical staff.

New Linear Accelerator (Linac 3) opened.

Velindre NHS Trust is formed
Velindre Hospital becomes Velindre Cancer Centre

A new radiotherapy reception area and two new Linear Accelerators (Linac 4 and 5) were built.

Major changes to front of the Hospital including new Tenovus Cancer Information Centre, new reception area for patients and visitors, new Centre for Academic and Clinical Departments of Palliative Medicine.

Active Support Unit significantly refurbished and officially re-opened by Edwina Hart, Health Minister.

Linac 6 opened by Health Minister Edwina Hart.
 

New bunker facility and Linac No.7 & 8 under construction.

Linear accelerator No.7 opened

 
 
Details of SBRT funding announced.
 
Radiotherapy building at daybreak
 
 Back to top | Page useful?
 
 
 


Last updated: 05/11/2013