Travel & Health

Travel Advice

You’re planning your holiday for you and your family or friends.  You’ve worked hard all year and are looking forward to a break.  This could even be your trip of a lifetime but please stop and reflect for a moment.  The NHS is a UK institution that aims to look after your health and well-being from before you are born and throughout your life.  Other countries health services differ and in some parts of the world are less than comprehensive.  Additionally, you may face a variety of health risks in your chosen destination that you really should consider in advance.  The resources on this page aim to help you determine any risks you may face in travelling to your holiday destination.  Many travel companies insist on you having travel insurance before they will permit you to travel but it is your responsibility to ensure you are adequately covered.  In the EU and some other countries there are reciprocal health arrangements, which are detailed from the link below to European Health Insurance Card.  If you have particular health needs, you need to ensure that you will be able to access any ongoing care you need or that your insurance cover will include your health needs.  If in doubt, you may need to seek the advice of a health professional.
If you are travelling on business, you should ensure your employer is clear of their responsibilities in respect of your health and well-being while working for them abroad.

NHS Travel Links

The National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) promotes standards in travel medicine, providing travel health information for health professionals and the public. 

Advice for residents of the United Kingdom about planning ahead, staying healthy and getting treatment elsewhere in the world. Includes information on arrangements throughout the European Union (EU), Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland for co-ordinating the health care systems of the member states.

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) has replaced the old E111. From 1 January 2006, E111s are no longer valid. The EHIC gives rights to treatment during a temporary visit. You are eligible for a EHIC if you are ordinarily resident in the UK.

Please note that the related TRAVAX database is freely available to NHS Wales health care professionals via the HOWIS Intranet site.

Are you visiting the United Kingdom (Wales)? Did you know that you may have to pay for hospital treatment whilst here?

You can find out more via the link below: